Sunday, June 29, 2008

Singapore Toy and Comic Convention Day 1


I was too balonglong this morning.

As a result, I missed the official opening of the convention and the Star Wars Imperial March by 501st Legion. When I reached the entrance at level 6, it was already teeming with people. The crowd inside was bigger than I expected.

I came to the convention hoping to see my line of toys, but sixth scale toys were not well represented. In fact, none of the manufacturers like Hot Toys, Dragon, Blue Box etc. are taking part in the convention. Only female dolls like Blythe, Pullip, J-Dolls and BJDs are represented. No Barbies, no Jenny, no Momoko!

I was surprised to see a BJD booth by Domuya. I gave the Doll Affair a miss last year, so this is my first time seeing BJDs up close.

The booth is small and packed. You have to make your way into the interior to get a shot, but it is not that hard to get in. A few of the BJDs:

domuyadomuyadomuyadomuya

Dolls with glasses are cool. The background doll in the first picture:

domuya

Chio! My heart is itching .. to own a doll like her.

Turns out that's not the only bespectacled doll in the booth:

domuyadomuya

Err, why does she have to dress up like a maid?

Domuya has this scantily-clad doll on display, but in a class cabinet:

domuyadomuya

They are probably afraid the doll might catch a cold. Or that somebody might molest her because she, her whole body, is too realistic.

The Domuya booth was unexpected but not Magma Heritage. I actually came to know this toy convention through their website. Knowing they are going to represent Pullip and J-Dolls, I awaited the convention with anticipation.

The Magma booth is small but more packed than the Domuya one. I can probably understand this. Ball-Joined Dolls (BJDs) are big, freaky and uncommon locally. Each doll costs hundreds of dollars and collectors typically import their stuffs overseas. In other words, the barrier to ownership is higher. In contrast, the dolls in the Magma booth are of the sixth scale variety, smaller, cutier and prettier. Ok, BJD fans are gonna whack me for this, but what I mean is a BJD is all about realism. If one day you suddenly find a 1/1 ultra-realistic doll on your bed, bet you freaked out first, right? So there is a price to pay for being too big and too realistic.

If you look at the Magma dolls (Pullip, Dal, Taeyang), they may be freaky to some with the huge eyes, but they also look cute and more approachable with their disproportionate head and cheerful expression.

So inside the Magma booth, there are people snapping pictures and girls buying/inquiring about the dolls, reasons why the booth is packed.

magma
Left to right: Jade Taeyang, Sol Taeyang, Seiran Taeyang, Youtsuzu Pullip, Hanaayame Dal

magmamagma
Left: Youtsuzu Pullip. Right: Celsiy Pullip

magmamagma
Left: Suigintou Pullip and Souseiseki Pullip. Right: Shinku Pullip and Kanaria Dal

This convention is not about toys and comics only. Visitors get to see the Singapore garrison of the 501st Legion up close:

501st501st

In Star Wars Ep. IV (A New Hope), Luke complained of limited vision after donning the suit. I suppose these guys aren't having any better. I guess it is hot inside the suit and helmet; visual and audial are limited.

The crowd are all jostling in front for their photo-shoot. I told myself a shot from behind or side is just as good, at least different:

501st501st

The Dark Lord is here! But the lady in front is not afraid of him and she looks blissfully excited. This won't happen in the movie.

501st501st

This is the 501st Legion Booth. Those are helmets, not war trophies by the good guys. The Red Guard at the corner .. is he real or fake?? He wasn't moving while I was at the booth. The Clone Trooper in stylo-posture is the 1/7 scale vinyl from Kotobukiya.

501st501st

LEGO was also at the convention, highlight being the top 10 finalist models for the LEGO Build-A-Brick Competition, based on the theme of "Icons of Singapore".

legolego

Hasbro had a big booth with Star Wars figurines on display, but there was a queue and entry is controlled. So I just took pictures of their wall outside:

Star WarsStar Wars

Nintendo goes all out to promote their latest Wii platform. You don't see any Xbox or Playstation this time. Look at how the kid is enjoying himself with his grandpa. Wii has the ability to bind whole families together, even across two generations.

NintendoNintendo

For the handheld market, Nintendo has DS Lite. The familiar Mario mascot greets visitors. But why is their helper playing also? Shouldn't she be working, erm, I mean helping the visitors with their machine? Their Tee is cool though.

NintendoNintendo

This concludes my Day 1 at the convention. It was enjoyable shooting the dolls and the 501st Legion. Place was crowded, but not too bad. At least I could still get close to the dolls for shots.

This convention, I decided to make my first foray into big-headed dolls. So I scored a Audrey Hepburn "Breakfast at Tiffany" doll. I had wanted to get a Pullip for some time. At the Magma booth, I didn't know which to get and the Holly Pullip on the top shelf grabbed my attention. The doll wasn't on display and I have not seen it before, but I thought it would be a good choice as my first Pullip doll.

So let me present, my Pullip No. 1 - Holly Golightly Pullip!

Audrey

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous | June 29, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Day 2???

Icemoon | June 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Coming!

Anonymous | July 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Maybe you like to know the identity of one of the 501st's finest :) see here.